August 15, 2008

Eating Locally--like my backyard!




This year we decided to go green by planting our very own vegetables. We planted: string beans, two kinds of lettuce, tomatoes and cucumbers--so many we are giving them away. We put our garden in a very small space but we have been getting a lot of food from it. All my dad did was plant the seeds, lean a trellis against the house, water them and that was it. Here is picture of the cucumbers on our vines. We also planted herbs: basil, oregano, parsley and thyme and lemon thyme. I love to go out in the garden and get some parsley and basil and give them to my mom for my pizza and pasta. I also like just eating the herbs plain. I go in the garden and pick them and sneak a taste…my mom always says “COLIN STOP PICKNG THE HERBS!”
Here is one of my favorite herb pasta recipes my mom makes:
My mom makes spaghetti (my favorite is from Trader Joes) and she tosses it in 2 tbs. butter and 1 tbs. olive oil, adds some salt and lots of fresh chopped basil and parsley. Then she sprinkles a tiny bit of parmesan on top. YUMMY!

2 comments:

Jenny Howell said...

We found an awesome farmers market here in the Memphis area and we LOVE it. The food is fresh and it lasts longer and the prices are better than the grocery stores. We hope to plant a garden this fall as well. I better get busy now though!

Eco-Savvy Kid said...

Jenny: Thanks for the comment on Colin's blog. We had so much lettuce this spring adn the garden we planted it in was 4 x 5. We too go to our local farmers markets. On our home page we give you a great link to chekc out for locally produced goods too.